Thursday, July 23, 2009

The American way of romance

The following exchange took place on Craigslist, the New York community message board:

«What am I doing wrong? I’m tired of beating around the bush. I’m a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25-year-old girl. I’m articulate and classy. I’m not from New York. I’m looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don’t think I’m over-reaching at all. Are there any guys who make 500k or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a businessman who made around 200-250K. But that’s where I seem to hit a roadblock. $250,000 won’t get me to Central Park West. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker, and lives in Tribeca. She’s not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius.

So what is she doing right? Here are my questions specifically:
Where do you single rich men hag out? Give me specifics-bars, restaurants, gyms.
What are you looking for in a mate?
Is there an age range I should be targeting?
Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the Upper East Side so plain? What’s the story there?
Lawyers, investment bankers, doctors. How much do those guys really make? And where do the hedge fund guys hang out?
How do you rich guys decide on marriage vs just a rirlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY».

An Investment Banker’s Response:
«I qualify as a guy who fits your bill- I make more than $500K per year. Here’s how I see it: Your offer is a plain and simple crappy business deal. What you suggest is a simple trade: you bring you looks to the party and I bring my money.

Fine, simple. But here’s the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity – in fact, it is very likely that my income will increase, but it is an absolute certainty that you won’t be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms, you are a depreciating asset. In Wall Street terms, we’d call you a trading position – not a buy and hold. It doesn’t make good business sense to ‘buy you’ (which is what your’re asking) – so I’d rather lease. The deal that makes sense for me is dating, not marriage».
(The Independent, 14 October 2007)

Οι ακόλουθες μικρές αγγελίες παρουσιάστηκαν στον πίνακα ανακοινώσεων ενός κοινοτικού συμβουλίου Νέας Υόρκης:

«Τι να κάνω λάθος άραγε; Κουράστηκα να γυροφέρνω στο ίδιο σημείο. Είμαι ένα όμορφο και εντυπωσιακό κορίτσι 25 χρόνων. Είμαι έξυπνη και έχω επίπεδο. Δεν είμαι από τη Νέα Υόρκη. Ψάχνω, να παντρευτώ κάποιον που να κερδίζει τουλάχιστον μισό εκατομμύριο δολάρια το χρόνο. Ξέρω πως ίσως να ακούγεται παράξενα αυτό, έχετε όμως, υπόψη σας ότι ένα εκατομμύριο δολάρια το χρόνο, κερδίζει η μεσαία τάξη της Νέας Υόρκης. Έτσι, δεν θεωρώ ότι είμαι υπερβολικά απαιτητική.
.
Μήπως, υπάρχουν άνδρες σε αυτό το Συμβούλιο, που κερδίζουν 500 χιλιάδες δολάρια ή περισσότερα; Κάποιες γυναίκες ίσως μπορούν να μου δώσουν μερικές συμβουλές; Τις προάλλες, έβγαινα με κάποιον επιχειρηματία που κέρδιζε περίπου 200 με 250 χιλιάδες. Αλλά με αυτό το ποσό δεν πας πουθενά. Με 250 χιλιάδες δολάρια δεν μπορείς να πας ούτε στα δυτικά του Central Park. Ξέρω μια γυναίκα στην τάξη μου, της γιόγκα που ήταν παντρεμένη με ένα τραπεζίτη επενδυτή και ζει στην Tribeca. Δεν είναι και τόσο όμορφη όπως εγώ, ούτε είναι και καμιά μεγάλη ιδιοφυία.
.
Διερωτώμαι δηλαδή, τι άραγε κάνει σωστό, αυτή κι εγώ όχι; Εδώ είναι οι συγκεκριμένες ερωτήσεις μου: Πού τριγυρνούν συνήθως τα πλουσιόπαιδα; Δώστε μου λεπτομέρειες για τα μπαρ, τα εστιατόρια και τα γυμναστήρια που συχνάζουν... Τι ακριβώς ψάχνετε σ’ ένα σύντροφο; Υπάρχει άραγε οποιαδήποτε προτίμηση στην ηλικία που θα πρέπει να στοχεύω; Γιατί έτσι απλά, ορισμένες γυναίκες στην Άνω Ανατολική πλευρά της πόλης καταφέρνουν να ζουν πλουσιοπάροχα;

Πόσα πραγματικά κερδίζουν οι δικηγόροι, οι τραπεζίτες επενδυτές, οι γιατροί; Και ποιο είναι το σημείο σύγκλισης; Πώς ακριβώς τα πλουσιόπαιδα αποφασίζουν να παντρευτούν, αντί να προτιμούν να έχουν φιλενάδα; Προσωπικά, ψάχνω σύντροφο μόνο για παντρειά.
.
Ένας τραπεζίτης επενδυτής, της απάντησε ως εξής:

Ως άντρας, ανταποκρίνομαι στα κριτήρια που ζητάτε. Κερδίζω περισσότερα από 500 χιλιάδες δολάρια τον χρόνο. Να όμως, πώς βλέπω το θέμα εγώ: Η προσφορά σας είναι μια καθαρά επιχειρηματική συμφωνία. Αυτό που προτείνετε είναι μια απλή εμπορική πράξη: εσείς παρουσιάζετε από τη μια την ομορφιά σας κι εγώ από την άλλη τα λεφτά μου. Έτσι όμορφα και απλά.

Αλλά υπάρχει ένα μικρό πρόβλημα με αυτό. Ενώ η εμφάνιση σας, με το χρόνο θα ξεθωριάζει, τα λεφτά μου θα συνεχίσουν στο διηνεκές - στην πραγματικότητα, είναι πολύ πιθανό το εισόδημα μου να αυξηθεί μάλιστα, ενώ, είναι απολύτως βέβαιο ότι δεν θα είναι δυνατό εσείς, να γίνετε πιο όμορφη!

Έτσι, με οικονομικούς όρους, αποτελείτε ένα περιουσιακό στοιχείο που αποσβένεται. Με οικονομικούς όρους της Wall Street, θα σας χαρακτήριζα ως εμπορεύσιμη- όχι όμως για αγορά και κατακράτηση. Υπό τα περιστάσεις, δεν θα ήταν επιχειρηματικά σοφό να «σε αγοράσω» (πράγμα το οποίο είναι αυτό που ζητάς). Ως εκ τούτου, προτείνω να σε μισθώσω. Έτσι, η συμφωνία που κάνει νόημα σε μένα, είναι, να σε έχω φιλενάδα και όχι να σε παντρευτώ
(Πηγή: The Independent, 14 Οκτωβρίου 2007)

View Video: Money, money, money Δείτε το Βίντεο: Ανήμερα του έρωτα

8 comments:

Lily said...

I must say, I liked that post. one greedy asshole got the heartless response from another greedy asshole.
However I do like about her that she's honest. And that's probably why it won't get her there. She shouild realize that she doesn't qualify for the superficial world and find herself something to do she believes in and this way meet someone who she can build up a future with as together. as far as I see it, all these people might have the cash, but nothing else in life, so don't even get close to them! And what's so hard about working for your money yourself and what's the thing about looks anyway? it really doesn't matter what you look like, all that matters is who you are and how you contribute to mankind.

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting issue for both sexes. This woman has managed to obtain a brutally honest answer from a stranger, who understands her predicament.
In various ways, every woman or man in a relationship asks themselves 'am I getting whats fair or, a good deal or, what i'm looking for, etc'; and this is what this Woman is trying to secure in her own way.

Unfortunately, she has presented herself as a business proposition, forgetting that Women do not appeal to Men on the grounds of logic. She has forgotten her qualities of alure and mystique, in an attempt to find $500K per annum.
When she regains her intangible womanly qualities (that often defy logic), that Men find appealing in every Woman, she will find her mate.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

@ Sarah Sofia Ganborg. Although I share most of your views Sarah-Sofia, I would add that the reality is most likely the same in terms of the context and slightly different of course in the way it is ‘covered’… looking mainly for money, comfort, luxury and security! Of course there are always great exceptions to the rule. But more or less this is human behavior globally.

@ Anonymous. You comments are very interesting. I would say that in the ‘affluent societies’ and wealthy communities, the values and the principles are times that are less important that the value of money… The pattents in the area this girl lives is “Wall Street” therefore she was easily influenced by her environment…

Shelly's Style Shop said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! ;-) This is a very interesting post. I laughed my butt off while reading it!

xoxo, Shelly

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Shelly's Style Shop. Thank you Shelly for your kind comment. Please keep n touch!!

Cheryl said...

This was very funny to read, this woman will never be happy, not even with a billion coming in every year.

"I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker, and lives in Tribeca. She’s not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius." -is she kidding? Maybe her yoga classmate had a personality and wasn't worried about having what everyone else had. The entire ad that she posted is hilarious but I felt that was a ridiculously shallow thing to include. She's already whining about being dissatisfied with her life, it would probably only get worse with time no matter how much money she had.
I think that the response was pretty funny. Imagine what would happen if these two ended up on a blind date.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Cheryl. Don't take so serious the story Cheryl!!! And don't ever imagine what would happen if these two ended up on a blind date. Nothing else but sex!!!

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Cheryl. Don't take so serious the story Cheryl!!! And don't ever imagine what would happen if these two ended up on a blind date. Nothing else but sex!!!